Workshop Index

Trike Index

Long delta cargo Trike

 

After a couple of years I finally realized my wife was not going to ride the Freedex clone trike at all - she got a new car and evidently won't ride a bike is she has a car to get around in.  So  decided to rebuild it into something that was big enough for me to ride.  The Freedex clone was too short for me to comfortably ride so I stretched it.

Click on any picture for a larger version

I cut it off at the back end of the frame and worked from there.

 

I added a center pole for the frame and extended it out to where it would be comfortable for me to ride.
All the rims are aluminum and the tires had foam inserts so they couldn't go flat regardless of what I might run over during riding.  I have a bad leg and pushing a trike with a flat tire is not in the cards for me.


 

I completely redid the back end for the pedal chain and added twin 500 watt 24 volt scooter motors driving though pocketbike transmissions at a 1/5 ratio. This gave the trike a top speed of about 15 mph.

 


I had to do a bit chain line modification so everything would fit.  I used two skateboard wheels as pullies for the chains. I turned them down on my lathe. They worked well with no problems.

 


I added a steering post and bracket for the pedals on the top of the main boom.  The steering was connected by steel cables from the bottom of the steering bracket to the fork for the front wheel.

 

Picture of the bracket for the pedals. It was bolted to the top of the main boom tube.

 

Bottom of the steering handlebar mount where the cables are connected

 

Rear view of the frame. you can see the right rear disk brake mounted directly on the right axle. 
The single rear brake with the brake on the front wheel worked fine together. I thought it might pull to the right with it that way which I didn't consider to be a problem but it didn't actualy do that due to the weight of the rear end of the trike. 

 

Frame with new paint job

 

Final assembly -  left and right side views 
Even though I used no lead on the front wheel it steered fine with no problems.
It used a disk brake ont the front wheel too.

front view

Rear view. Aluminum rear deck with tie downs mounted on each side.

New Basket.  Yes , it was a bit long but worked well all the same. It didn't stay on there very long though.

I decided I needed more range that the set of 32 amp scooter batteries could give me
so I installed a 6 hp Harbor Freight engine and a 24 volt 100 amp alternator to use
as a hybrid system. The engine/alt combination could drive the motors by itself but I normally kept the batteries in line to keep them charged at the same time.

 I also added a couple of flag poles on the back to help keep me from
getting run over around here on the roads as there are very few bike paths around this area.



I also added another small basket behind the seat in front of the engine.

Type of pocketbike transmission I mated to the scooter motors - 1/5 ratio - oil filled - quiet!

I took the clutch bowls off the transmissions and used one of these connectors to connect
the motors with the motor mounted on one side of a flat plate and the transmissions on the other sides.
I also tapped and threaded the side the transmission mounted with to lock them onto the shafts.
These couplers added no noise to the system and made it easier to align the motor shafts and transmission shafts.  I also replaced the sprockets the transmissions came
with with sprockets that would fit bike chains instead of #25 chains used on pocket bikes.



The system wiring layout. It had head lights, tail lights and rear turn signals and emergency flashers.

The main power switches for the alternator and batteries were mounted on a panel below the seat while all the rest of the controls were mounted in a box on the handlebars.